Friday, January 24, 2014

Ran a 5K Today. Just Like Getting Back on a Bike. Or on My Feet I Should Say.

Somehow running a 5K has become my workout of choice.  Probably because I've signed up for so many that it's become a habit from training for them.  It's also almost the perfect distance; not too short of a workout but not too long that you're drained.  Plus, a crowded indoor track isn't the most conducive to working on short sprints.

Was supposed to play basketball, but that plan didn't work out (hah), so I thought I'd try to utilize the rec center while I was still there.

I probably haven't been on a decent run since med school started, so I was pleasantly surprised about how I was able to hit my average range in terms of time.  I was even more enthused that I didn't have to stop and walk at any point, especially since there has been a dearth of sleep this week, including two hours last night from trying to finish an objective (I'm not going to get into if it was smart to do anything on such little rest right now, thank you).

This just makes me wonder if I had kept up working out consistently since graduating high school how good I could be or how fast my time could be.  Honestly, probably not that much better (my PR is 24 min), but even now it's still a far cry from where my level once was at least, lacking stamina, barely able to run a mile, and always feeling like puking.

I'll leave y'all with that image for a Friday night.

No comments: