Sunday, August 12, 2007

5 Points for 8/12

1. Massive Heat Wave in United States, Including St. Louis- It's been nine straight days or so of temperatures above 90 degrees in St. Louis, sometimes even topping 100. Obviously the heat index is almost at or above 100 for these past nine days also, and no relief is in sight for the foreseeable future. Buckle in, everybody; the weather's obviously making up for lost time, as we've had a pretty mild summer before this month.

2. Billy Graham in the Spotlight- His relationship with the White House and the Presidents was the subject of an ABC News special on Friday, and he's on the cover of Time Magazine this week. For one person to have such an influence on the whole country and its leaders (eleven of them, apparently) is remarkable and speaks to the magnitude of trust, wisdom, and comfort this man can give.

3. Six Utah Miners Trapped in Coal Mine- Still no contact with them as of yesterday, so hopes have leveled after a roller coaster week. The mine owner has said emphatically that the cave-in was caused by an earthquake, when the U.S. Geological Survey has said that the "earthquake" readings they got were actually from the mine caving in. At least he's trying to save his butt so business can go on later. But a shameful and completely transparent attempt at a cover-up nonetheless.

4. Barry Bonds hits 756- Finally it's over. In fact, he hit two more home runs right after he hit 756, which shows that the pressure is finally off. Now San Francisco has to find another way to generate revenue and fill AT&T Park. Possibly start winning?

5. Rick Ankiel Called Up to St. Louis- A new chapter begins in this storybook second career of his. What a way to come back after retiring from pitching two years ago, when he was frustrated with his suddenly diminished pitching talent that never got back on track. In the past three games, he's batting above .400 with three home runs and six runs batted in. Now watch him break 758...

My 5 Points-

1. Wash U. offers new internet and cable package- This is an outrage. Wash U. already charges us upwards of $45,000 a year in miscellaneous charges, including internet that should be part of tuition, not a separate option for students. Now, the price has been raised $100 due to the addition of wireless internet in the dorms, among other things. Cable TV was added as part of the package, and then taken off to be "free" to students, while the price of internet access has not gone down. Personally, I can live without cable TV and wireless in the dorms. I do not want to pay $240 for all these features when all I need is ethernet access that I grudgingly paid $135 a semester when it, again, should be included in the tuition. Wash U. is basically a business that only cares about making money. What a shame for such a "fine institution for higher learning".

2. Orgo- Entering my last week. I do not understand sugars (though I haven't started reading the chapter yet, so we'll see). It's going to be a fun week, with a test on Tuesday and a test on Thursday, both on arguably the most I've had to know for a test this summer.

3. TpTe Project- Slowly but steadily reaching my goal of obtaining results. Peter (lab technician/resident computer genius) is what he is, a genius. He's been able to fix any problem that's come up. Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here to the end, though past experience says I'm going to have to call him a few more times to help me out with programs that aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

4. Tours- I always get tours that ask so many questions that I end at 12:40 when I should be done by 12:15. Got a tour that didn't ask that many questions on Friday, and I actually ended on time. These are so rare though that I sometimes don't know how to handle myself when the visitors don't respond after I ask if they have any questions. I've been getting good reviews apparently, says Andrea, and she and Mary Cissi have offered to give me recommendations when I apply (again) to be a Student Admissions Committee member in the fall. Hopefully these will help me get over the hump of rejection.

5. Cardinals- Watched the game today against the Dodgers. The best game I've seen in a long time (I don't have cable, so I don't get to watch that many anymore). Quite satisfied, especially with Braden Looper continuing the recent success of starting pitching, and Ankiel having a big day.

No comments: