Sunday, August 26, 2007

5 Points for 8/26

Yeah, I know, perhaps I should change the official date of posting to Sundays. But it's my blog, and I haven't gone to sleep yet, so let's say it's Saturday even though it's not.

1. Michael Vick pleads guilty- Pretty much what was expected, especially with his cohorts already entering guilty pleas and planning to testify against him. As Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch would say, "How will the NFL remember the Michael Vick era?" At least he has enough money to bum around for a while as he finds a job as a movie extra or something.

2. Utah Mine Rescue Complications- There was talk of drilling one more hole, and then giving up if the six trapped miners couldn't be found. This is a very touchy subject, as three rescuers have already been killed during search operations, but families would be devistated if at least the bodies of the six who were originally trapped weren't found. I've stated both sides, and I'll let you decide this one.

3. Floods in upper Midwest- Again, more examples of the weird weather we've been having in the United States this summer. My Grandma from Taiwan actually called one night at midnight to ask if we were okay. Of course, we're far from the flooded areas in both location and weather (again, we were in a drought before Friday's huge storm), but it was a nice gesture on her part.

4. China Airlines plane catches on fire and explodes in Okinawa, Japan- Miraculously, all 165 on board the Boeing 737-800 are perfectly fine. Apparently a hole in the fuel tank prompted the incident. As mentioned elsewhere, this is another blow to China Airlines and its attempt to shake its reputation as being unsafe. We'll see if this is China Airlines' or Boeing's problem.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/08/19/plane-fire.html
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2007-08-24-china-air-update_N.htm?csp=34

5. Jenna Bush engaged- Not the one I thought would get engaged first; in my opinion Barbara's hotter. But congratulations to her, probably the only good thing going for the prez recently.

My 5 points

1. Move in day yesterday- Got a few things in on Wednesday before my dad left for temple stuff in Austin. Got most of the rest of the things into the dorm yesterday morning. It's nice going to school in St. Louis, because I can just go home and grab something that I forgot or have my parents drop it off, no worries at all.

2. Gave tour after moving in- Not as chill as past Saturday tours, especially now that the campus is back to bustling again, with upperclass move in day today. In fact lost a few people in the crowd. Hopefully they won't hold that against me. Ran into Connie while looking for a room to show (friends from Chinese School back when we were in elementary school). Glad she picked Wash U. over Berkeley. And she let my group take a look at her room, which was nice. Hopefully she and her floormates don't get annoyed with all the tour groups this year looking for rooms to show prospective freshmen, although by winter it's probably bound to happen, unfortunately.

3. Went to dentist on Tuesday- Specifically took a day off from work just for that. Found out I have a cavity in the same tooth that I got a filling last year, and apparently it's in a very odd place. At least it doesn't hurt, so I can wait the month or so it'll take to get my regular dentist to fix it. My theory is that this probably happened because my regular dentist didn't perform the procedure last time; it was the other guy who's now coincidentally gone. Go figure...though he seemed okay up to the filling point last year.

4. Back to work this week after a week's hiatus- Kinda got somewhere, but not really. I had double-checked my ECG's with Peter's program to make sure the times and signals lined up, but for some reason Eric's program, the one I'm using to obtain stats from my files, messes everything up. Hopefully this'll be worked out next week.

5. Finally got to exercise this week- Lost weight, gained some muscle, and kind of starting to show a six-pack. We'll see how long that lasts through the school year, both the exercise habit and the physical attributes. Made a bet with Ai-Lin to see who exerciese more over the semester. She thinks she'll win; I give her two weeks before she gives up. Saw the person who blocked me on AIM last week, but she was with someone else, so I didn't have a private conversation with her. What's perplexing is that when she sees me she'll still smile and say hi, and make some small talk. I don't understand this; anybody care to explain it for me?

No comments: